St. Peter Parish was founded more than 150 years ago to serve German immigrants in Cleveland. Many current parishioners can count ancestors among those early members of the parish.
The parish underwent a significant revitalization throughout the 1990s, continuing up until the parish was closed in April 2010. Following a successful appeal to the Vatican, the parish officially reopened on September 9, 2012.
St. Peter Parish is a joyful, intentional urban parish continuing a tradition of welcoming all, inspiring worship and transforming lives. We have a weekday Mass on Tuesdays at 11:45 a.m. and our Sunday Mass is at 11:30 a.m. We have an active social justice ministry providing outreach to those in need in our neighborhood. The Newman Campus Ministry program for Cleveland State University is housed at Historic St. Peter Church. We welcome new members and visitors from the downtown Cleveland area and beyond. Our historic church was built by German immigrants in 1857. The Church is one of only two documented pre-Civil War structures remaining in downtown Cleveland. Historic St. Peter Church is recognized as a Cleveland landmark. The Church is located near the Superior Arts District, Playhouse Square and the Cleveland.
Mission of St. Peter Parish
We are a joyful, intentional urban Catholic parish
continuing a tradition of
and transforming lives.
Core Values of St. Peter Parish
Humble simplicity is at the heart of our sacred space, our worship,
our focus on what’s important in why we are here.
Honesty and Authenticity
Everyone has a voice that is heard about anything.
Everyone can be authentic.
We all are accountable and empowered to be of service
to one another and to the wider community.
Each person has the freedom to help build the community.